The demand for home health aides is increasing as more seniors age in their own homes. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), home health aides will be in high demand from 2016 to 2026. This is much higher than the average rate for all occupations.
Home health aides are a valuable service for those needing medical attention and care in the home. Home health aides can also help those with disabilities, chronic and short-term impairments, chronic diseases, and recovering from surgery at home.
Home health aides are often responsible for overseeing the care of patients and ensuring that they comply with their doctors’ orders. A home health aide may be required to perform the following duties:
- Prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Take the patient’s vital signs and record them.
- Collect samples for testing.
- Education of the patient about proper nutrition
- Assisting the patient in preparing meals.
- Assist the patient with shopping and doctor visits.
- Spending time with patients for activities such as reading, talking, or going to the park.
- Assist the patient with exercises.
- Primary personal care includes bathing, dressing, and grooming.
- Performing light housekeeping duties.
- Monitoring wound healing and replacing sterile dressings.
- Assist the patient in transferring from or to a wheelchair.
- Assisting the patient with laundry.
Keep accurate records of home visits, including travel time and time spent with patients. Also, keep track of what services were provided during the visit.
As you can see, a home health aide’s duties include a variety of healthcare and medical tasks as well as quality-of-life services.
Home health aides may interact with other healthcare professionals in addition to their daily duties. They might consult with patients’ physicians, nurses, or medical assistants. They may also meet with other healthcare professionals to discuss their patient’s healthcare needs and any services they wish to provide.
Do you want to start a Wyoming home-based healthcare business?
Wyoming offers complete liability protection, fewer corporate formalities, and no state taxes. Privacy is just one reason to open a business. Wyoming’s low ranking in the rankings is due to its reliance on tourism, coal mining and coal production.
Wyoming home health insurance is a must-have for business owners. You can work worry-free because it covers any claims made against you and your business.
What is the typical work environment for home health aides?
Home health aides spend most of their time at the patient’s home. They may also spend some time at the agency to meet their supervisors, attend meetings, or do other administrative tasks as needed.
Home health aides work in homes and must be able to adapt to different living situations. Some people might have multiple pets, such as cats, dogs, fish or birds.
Homes without heating or air conditioning may be a problem. Sometimes, your patients may live in homes that are less clean or cluttered than they should be, often due to mobility issues.
Keep your mind open and remember that you are there for people to help them and care for their needs. It shows that you care about your patients and are interested in providing genuine human care regardless of their current living situation.