Gastroesophageal reflux disease, commonly known as GERD, is a condition where the stomach acid flows backwards towards the oesophagus. Oesophagus connects the mouth to the stomach and it is highly irritated due to this kind of a reflux.
Acid Refluxes are common in a human body but in case of an excessive acid reflux, a person could be vulnerable to heart attacks. GERD is very common and most of the time, it is treated at home. But excessive reflux can cause burning sensations in the chest and the upper stomach.
In case of chest pain and excessive burning you might have to see the doctor. In case of a minor sensation, you can overcome the problem by using the techniques mentioned below.
How to overcome the disease?
Here are a few lifestyle changes that can help you overcome the problem in a longer run.
- Follow a proper diet and try avoiding food and beverages that contain tangerine or acids like citrus fruit juices, tomato paste and sauce, garlic, soda or even fried and greasy food.
- Try to maintain your weight. The problem is commonly found among obese individuals, thus you should exercise daily and follow a healthier lifestyle.
- Eat in smaller proportions and do not remain empty stomachfor too long.
- Include fibrous food with low protein in your diet. Try chewing gums as they can help by producing more saliva and other digestive juices.
- Quit smoking and avoid alcohol as much as possible.
- Try out some herbal medicines like chamomile, marshmallowand licorice
- Avoid wearing tight clothes and try meditative techniques and Yoga to relax your body muscles.
In case of a high acid reflux, doctors can suggest a few diagnoses like endoscopy and Xray and will further suggest medications depending on the complexity of the issue.
Antacids and other medications that reduce stomach acids can be some of the best supplements for GERD. Certain medications are used to block the production of acids and they must be consumed only when prescribed.
In case of an excessive condition, doctors might have to undertake surgical treatments like LINX device implantation and Fundoplication.